UKC

Replacement quickdraw software

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 LastBoyScout 08 May 2024

I want to get a replacement quickdraw tape to use as a very short sling - basically, a belay loop-ish size.

Unfortunately, my local climbing shops (Cotswold/GoOutdoors) don't have them - only quickdraw sets or >=60cm slings.

Does anyone stock them anymore?

Thanks,

FactorXXX 08 May 2024
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> I want to get a replacement quickdraw tape to use as a very short sling - basically, a belay loop-ish size.

Have you Googled 'replacement quickdraw tape'?

OP LastBoyScout 08 May 2024
In reply to James0101:

No good - I want an open loop, not the sewn dog-bone style.

In reply to FactorXXX:

Yes - the "quickdraw" part gets lots of non-climbing related measuring tapes with built-in pencils!

skog 08 May 2024

These?

https://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Climbing/Rock-Trad-Climbing/Slings-E...

Edit - probably a bit longer than you want.

Post edited at 22:06
 jezb1 08 May 2024

Not seen less than 30cm. Would that work doubled or tripled to shorten?

FactorXXX 08 May 2024

> I want to get a replacement quickdraw tape to use as a very short sling - basically, a belay loop-ish size.

The obvious answer is to buy a harness and cut it up so that you're left with the belay loop. 😉

In reply to jezb1:

> Not seen less than 30cm. Would that work doubled or tripled to shorten?

It would work, but would be messy and fiddly for what I want.

OP LastBoyScout 09 May 2024
In reply to AndyRoss:

That does, indeed, seem to be the shortest one available - shame about the colour.

john arran 09 May 2024

If you need more than one, a cut up daisy chain like this one could provide several.

https://bananafingers.co.uk/metolius-pas-22

spenser 09 May 2024

You've been a bit vague about exactly what you are trying to do so I will suggest a couple of ideas which might work, a blue ice alpine runner with a small krab might achieve what you are after?

https://bananafingers.co.uk/blue-ice-alpine-runner?gad_source=1&gclid=C...

Shortest is 35cm, halved with a krab this would be around 20cm.

Another option would be one of the slings you can buy to join chest and sit harnessess:

https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/ocun-tie-in-sling-pa-20mm-sewn-sling/?aid=8797...

In reply to spenser:

> You've been a bit vague about exactly what you are trying to do so I will suggest a couple of ideas which might work, a blue ice alpine runner with a small krab might achieve what you are after?

Intentionally - I didn't really want to wade through a load of opinions.

Thanks for your suggestions, but they're not what I'm after.

Used to be the case you could walk into any climbing shop and buy what I want off the peg.

In reply to john arran:

> If you need more than one, a cut up daisy chain like this one could provide several.

Expensive way, though. Still surprised no-one seems to sell them singly any more.

Jenny C 09 May 2024

Welcome to the success of online shopping and our constant demand for the best possible price. 

Patrick Surguy 09 May 2024

10,15,20cm slings from the aerial silks/hoops world: https://www.firetoys.co.uk/aerial-circus/aerial-rigs-and-rigging/aerial-loo...

Interesting option from the slacklining world: 14cm, massively strong, but a bit chunky https://slacktivity.com/shop/connection-loop/

Must say I am now intrigued as to what you're doing with it! Hope you find something that works

Cobra_Head 09 May 2024

https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/climbing-technology-multi-chain-evo-daisychain...

If you cut it right you've got 5 to play with all for under £50

Martin Bennett 09 May 2024

Or maybe not so expensive if you buy my spare one. It's a Metolius PAS about 5 years old and unused.
Any interest?

spenser 09 May 2024

Sorry, you had already discounted the other ideas that had been offered and I was suggesting some alternatives that I thought may fit depending on your application.

Would a length of prussik cord work? You could have whatever length you want that way 

Fraser 10 May 2024
In reply to FactorXXX:

> How about this:

I was going to suggest a lifting strop but that looks like what the OP's seeking.

PaulJepson 10 May 2024

Also now very interested in the application.

Could you just double up one of the 30cm open slings dmm/ocun/mammut/etc make so kind of like a mini alpine draw? Would also have the benefit of being able to extend it when needed. May or may not be useful.

OP LastBoyScout 10 May 2024
In reply to Patrick Surguy:

Awesome - full marks for thinking outside the box. Might have a winner with your first suggestion.

Thanks,

andyb211 12 May 2024

PM'd you 👍

HeMa 13 May 2024
In reply to Patrick Surguy:

In Sailing, they also use a lot of dyneema continuous loops. Plus in highlining. You can even make them yourself… splicing dyneema is not that hard. HowNot2 has videos on how they are made and then also how much strenght they have (slow pull IIRC). There are still limitations on how short you can go (like with sewn dyneema/nylon sling/tape). In realistic terms, going shorter than 10cm with any strenght is next to impossible.

Brass Nipples 13 May 2024

Buy some dyneema tape by the metre and tie with a water knot?

Post edited at 09:42
 TobyA 13 May 2024
In reply to Brass Nipples:

> Buy some dyneema tape by the metre and tie with a water knot?

Is that a joke? You can't buy dyneema tape by the metre because it can't safely be knotted. I thought that was pretty common knowledge for the last 30 years.

PaulJepson 13 May 2024

To be fair, I think that tape is dyneema wrapped in polyamide and is horrible to knot as it is extremely rigid. The point about knotting pure dyneema tape stands. 

TobyA 13 May 2024

Edelrid Tech Webbing isn't what anyone thinks about when you say dyneema is it though. I have a 120 sewn sling in Tech Web, and like Paul says it's really stiff so  knots don't tighten much. Kinda useful when knotting a sewn sling temporarily but I'd be a bit nervous about tying knotted slings with the stuff I have. Maybe more modern versions sold off the reel are softer though.

Cobra_Head 14 May 2024
In reply to TobyA

> Edelrid Tech Webbing isn't what anyone thinks about when you say dyneema is it though. I have a 120 sewn sling in Tech Web, and like Paul says it's really stiff so  knots don't tighten much. Kinda useful when knotting a sewn sling temporarily but I'd be a bit nervous about tying knotted slings with the stuff I have. Maybe more modern versions sold off the reel are softer though.

A simple "sorry" might have been easier.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...